Welcome!!!

BYBYNJ@gmail.com

www.reesepaintings.com

"The true painter strives to paint what can only be seen through his world." ~André Malraux



After a year of intermittant "painter's block"  I am working again in my studio, and feeling in a tentative positive state. Painting is a solitary activity, and as artists, we are often working in a vacuum. Unless we have a show hanging, reaction to the work is minimal. With several pieces underway, I decided that perhaps if I write about what I am doing or am attempting to do, it might act somewhat as a muse for me as well as give me some feedback on the work I am creating -- hence the establishment of this blog. 

As for the blog title, traditional, representational painting is a language for expressing what’s visible. But I feel my work is the most successful, and most interesting, when focused on things not entirely visible. I paint what I see but also what I sense and feel by utilizing my interior and unseen world --- in other words, the invisible world. Plein air work or  studio work from photographs are only touchstones or landmarks which guide me to other inner spaces. By so doing, I find that I am pushing the boundaries between representational and abstract work.

You can enlarge the images in this blog by clicking on them.


Mar 12, 2011

In Between Storms

 We are in between storms. Monday left us with another foot of snow, and a sheer layer of ice, creating a dazzling unreal beauty amongst the trees when we drove home on Tuesday. Another storm came Wednesday, with rain dissolving the ice by Friday. And then it snowed again. Even I begin to tire of snow by the end of March when, Jersey bred, I expect daffodils and birdsong -- but for a few more weeks I am happy to walk amongst the diamonds, and sit cozily by the fire at night. I read my cousin Howie's garden blog (see my web and blog links) abut his snowdrops and crocus coming up in Short Hills, NJ, and laugh, because nothing is coming up at his weekend house, just five minutes from here.

The snow that reaches the top of the front door  -- see photo below left (so that we cannot even open the door to get out to take down holiday pine cone wreath!) is a little overwhelming. It caused my 10 year old grandson, who is snow addicted, to whoop with joy when he arrived here late Friday night and walked up the covered walkway to the mudroom. (See top photo taken through the door, before John cleared it away, making an even larger mountain to the right.)

I am quite certain there will be more snow, more beauty, more to paint, but I hope it will go away by April. 

Winter’s Ferocious Tenderness
by Namaya 

winter returns

  

a hushed lullaby

of sadness



draping the land

in memories

I have not done much winter work this year, but of course up here there is still time. Since I am backtracking in this new blog, I thought I would add an image of a painting I did maybe three years ago because this is how it looks around here right now. I used it for a Christmas card a few years back. If I wake up early enough, the sunrise over the snow creates remarkable colors -- a prism of wonderment! 

Did you know that snow  is actually colorless? It appears white because light is so scattered when it hits the snow, reflecting back all the colors in light. Depending on where you find the snow, snow can actually appear red, blue, purple, black, and more. I discovered this when painting it, as in the piece below, and realizing how many colors were out there besides white. 

I found a very good, if a bit too technical for me, explanation of the colors of snow here www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/5C.html

" ... more first than sun ... "

And for anyone interested in the tools of the trade-- I have organized and detailed my past "Palette" posting so it is clearer, and makes more sense. I welcome comments from other artists on what is on your palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment