Welcome!!!

BYBYNJ@gmail.com

www.reesepaintings.com

"The true painter strives to paint what can only be seen through his world." ~André Malraux



After a year of intermittant "painter's block"  I am working again in my studio, and feeling in a tentative positive state. Painting is a solitary activity, and as artists, we are often working in a vacuum. Unless we have a show hanging, reaction to the work is minimal. With several pieces underway, I decided that perhaps if I write about what I am doing or am attempting to do, it might act somewhat as a muse for me as well as give me some feedback on the work I am creating -- hence the establishment of this blog. 

As for the blog title, traditional, representational painting is a language for expressing what’s visible. But I feel my work is the most successful, and most interesting, when focused on things not entirely visible. I paint what I see but also what I sense and feel by utilizing my interior and unseen world --- in other words, the invisible world. Plein air work or  studio work from photographs are only touchstones or landmarks which guide me to other inner spaces. By so doing, I find that I am pushing the boundaries between representational and abstract work.

You can enlarge the images in this blog by clicking on them.


May 15, 2011

Building A Faery House With Nate

Gramma and her youngest grandchild.
After Arizona, we traveled to New York for a long weekend with old college friends of mine, and then spent a little time with my enchanting five-year-old grandson Nate. One of his favorite things to do is build faery houses, and we did just that ... 

We situated it nestled  in between a tall tree and a large rock. First he collected small flat stones for the floor which we "grouted" with his sandbox sand. Then came a wall, and then the roof made of bark and twigs.
We stacked some wood outside for their fireplace, which still has to be built.

Taken by holding camera INSIDE the house!




 That night while Nate slept, the faeiries came to occupy their new house, and guess what --- they brought a tiny rocking chair which Nate discovered in the morning. 
The trip to Sedona and this little jaunt is why I have not been in my studio for a few weeks. I hope to remedy that tomorrow. The gardens here are beckoning, but the rain is supposed to continue, so tomorrow will be a painting day.



No comments:

Post a Comment