Welcome!!!

BYBYNJ@gmail.com

www.reesepaintings.com

"The true painter strives to paint what can only be seen through his world." ~André Malraux



After a year of intermittant "painter's block"  I am working again in my studio, and feeling in a tentative positive state. Painting is a solitary activity, and as artists, we are often working in a vacuum. Unless we have a show hanging, reaction to the work is minimal. With several pieces underway, I decided that perhaps if I write about what I am doing or am attempting to do, it might act somewhat as a muse for me as well as give me some feedback on the work I am creating -- hence the establishment of this blog. 

As for the blog title, traditional, representational painting is a language for expressing what’s visible. But I feel my work is the most successful, and most interesting, when focused on things not entirely visible. I paint what I see but also what I sense and feel by utilizing my interior and unseen world --- in other words, the invisible world. Plein air work or  studio work from photographs are only touchstones or landmarks which guide me to other inner spaces. By so doing, I find that I am pushing the boundaries between representational and abstract work.

You can enlarge the images in this blog by clicking on them.


Jan 7, 2011

Pilot Post

Winter Spindrift # 2     24"x24"


One thing  which has encouraged me to get back into the studio was attending a painters' critique session yesterday at Nancy Gerlach's, run by Bert Yarborough ( http://www.bertyarborough.com/) who teaches art at Colby-Sawyer. It was a Strafford Artworks session, and we have utilized his excellent skills before by bringing in paintings with which we are having problems for him to critique. Yesterday I brought in two problem pieces, and one piece in progress, and he was very helpful and extremely encouraging to me. This got my engines started. Another impetus to head back to the studio is the nice fat check I received from East End Gallery in Nantucket, where I have had some success selling my work. I seem to have an admirer up there on that beautiful island--- the wife of the CEO of google, who has bought four of my pieces in the past few years, the most recent one purchased by her interior designer for their yacht. Here are several of them.  



Water's Edge     12" x 12"
                                                                               I am at my best when I am near water, whether it's a pond, a lake, a stream or the ocean: to me, water represents the very essence of  life, especially the sea. During my lifetime, it has always been a healing source,  both physically & spiritually. This body of work could not be more personal. For the good part of a year, I concentrated on the sea, focusing on composition and light, and the dynamics of color in the creation of what I can only call emotion. These pieces, like most of my work, are veiled and layered, scraped away and glazed, and glazed again. Underlayment shows through, ultimately creating a surface that hopefully has a sumptuous veneer.  





 







No comments:

Post a Comment