Welcome!!!

BYBYNJ@gmail.com

www.reesepaintings.com

"The true painter strives to paint what can only be seen through his world." ~André Malraux



After a year of intermittant "painter's block"  I am working again in my studio, and feeling in a tentative positive state. Painting is a solitary activity, and as artists, we are often working in a vacuum. Unless we have a show hanging, reaction to the work is minimal. With several pieces underway, I decided that perhaps if I write about what I am doing or am attempting to do, it might act somewhat as a muse for me as well as give me some feedback on the work I am creating -- hence the establishment of this blog. 

As for the blog title, traditional, representational painting is a language for expressing what’s visible. But I feel my work is the most successful, and most interesting, when focused on things not entirely visible. I paint what I see but also what I sense and feel by utilizing my interior and unseen world --- in other words, the invisible world. Plein air work or  studio work from photographs are only touchstones or landmarks which guide me to other inner spaces. By so doing, I find that I am pushing the boundaries between representational and abstract work.

You can enlarge the images in this blog by clicking on them.


Jan 8, 2011

Andy Newman

Heard from my artist friend Andy Newman (www.andynewman.net) today about a show he is having opening at the Umbrella for the Arts in Concord, MA where he has his USA studio. He is represented by more than ten galleries in Canada, England, France, Spain and Macau. If anyone is near enough to go to it, I highly recommend his work, which I think is marvelous. It runs January 13-February 14 (reception on the 20th.) Here is one of his pieces which will be in the show. He and his partner Gregory McGuire and their three kids live here in Strafford part time.
Andy and some friends came to our snow party last week, and it was a joy to see him go down the hill on a sled in his perfectly pressed khackis, elegant tweed jacket, scarf flying. He reminded me of one of the young men walking by the beach in the exquisite movie Child’s Christmas in Wales. Quite a contrast to the joyful but  unsartorially splendid Reese men, right, in their sledding gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment