Welcome!!!

BYBYNJ@gmail.com

www.reesepaintings.com

"The true painter strives to paint what can only be seen through his world." ~André Malraux



After a year of intermittant "painter's block"  I am working again in my studio, and feeling in a tentative positive state. Painting is a solitary activity, and as artists, we are often working in a vacuum. Unless we have a show hanging, reaction to the work is minimal. With several pieces underway, I decided that perhaps if I write about what I am doing or am attempting to do, it might act somewhat as a muse for me as well as give me some feedback on the work I am creating -- hence the establishment of this blog. 

As for the blog title, traditional, representational painting is a language for expressing what’s visible. But I feel my work is the most successful, and most interesting, when focused on things not entirely visible. I paint what I see but also what I sense and feel by utilizing my interior and unseen world --- in other words, the invisible world. Plein air work or  studio work from photographs are only touchstones or landmarks which guide me to other inner spaces. By so doing, I find that I am pushing the boundaries between representational and abstract work.

You can enlarge the images in this blog by clicking on them.


Mar 2, 2013

My Blue Period

Picasso is not the only one. These past two weeks I have moved from yellow (the forsythia)  into the blue, full steam ahead. I have completed three of the seven seascapes needed, and am halfway into a fourth. I am working with skies in these, more than water, as sky is so often the focus when on the beach. And you can be insane with the colors, which is where my head is this very wintry monochromatic week!

Here is a somewhat better photo of the first one posted last week.

Low Tide at Dawn, No. 1  20 x 20  oil on canvas


And another.

Low Tide at Dawn, No. 2  20 x 20  oil on canvas

 The one above has the colors slightly off, the foreground is much darker. 
And another.


Monotone of the Sea   20 x 20  oil on canvas

I hope to complete one more this size. These will be complemented by the large seascape I will bring back from the condo, and some of my Water's Edge series such as 


Winter Spindrift  16 x 16  oil on canvas (SOLD)
and


Water's Edge No. 6   12 x 12  Oil on Canvas


 I plan to complete a few more of these before the show hanging on March 18.

I am also working on a painting for the cover of my Skidmore 50th Reunion Yearbook which is supposed to evoke the old campus, the campus we knew. It is proving to be very difficult as there were really no iconic buildings or a green that shout out "Skidmore" from that era, and because all of the photos I have as references are black and white. I am trying..... I also have to take two pieces with me when I go to curate the alumni show at the Tang Museum for Reunion in the middle of the month. And I have nothing new to take.

It is making for some very busy days in the studio. Wish me luck.. .

No comments:

Post a Comment